I'll be the first to admit that I have cravings of off-plan food all the time. But I know that giving in to these cravings isn't always in my best interests with my ever-present fitness goals. With that being said, I do my best to make the best of both worlds and transform my food from nay, to yay. I create healthier, on-plan versions of my meals so I can enjoy the foods I love--and crave--while maintaining progress towards my goals.
One of the things I crave most is italian food; more specifically, pizza. Having an italian grandmother and studying abroad in Rome for a semester, I can't help but daydream about savory prosciutto and mozzarella on a thin layer of homemade tomato sauce, fired on a thin crust ... Topped with more parmesan? Wowza.
Okay, back to reality. When something like this happens, I don't flee from the kitchen ... I run to it. In this specific instance, I make my own personal wrap pizza that nips my cravings right in the bud.
- 1 large whole-wheat tortilla or Joe's pita flatbread wrap
- 1/2 C Don Pepino's or Whole Foods' Organic & Sugar-Free pizza sauce
- 1/2 C fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 1 serving lean protein (chicken, turkey, flank steak, etc.)
- Toppings of Choice: cut vegetables, sprinkle of BBQ sauce, more cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions, artichoke hearts, etc. ... the possibilities are truly endless.
- Oregano, garlic salt, crushed garlic & pepper to taste
1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once hot, throw your tortilla or pita-wrap in on a cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes, until just a bit cooked or golden brown on the edges.
2.) Remove your wrap and spread your sauce over the entire surface. Don with your preferred toppings and cover with seasoning and cheese.
3.) Slide your loaded pizza wrap back into the oven and cook until the cheese starts to turn golden brown on-top.
4.) Remove and let cool, then slice and devour.
It's worth noting that if you add too many toppings, the tortilla/pita will get a bit heavy and might break during consumption. Be prepared, get ready to get your hands a bit messy and have napkins handy. Above, I have chicken, power greens, and some sauteed onions on my wrap!
We'd love to hear about some of your pizza combinations!